Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chicken Soup

I'm not a huge fan of boring chicken noodle soup but I thought I'd give it a go anyways. This is what I did and it was pretty good I must admit.

In a med large pot dump in some milk and some water about equal amounts.
If you want lots of soup add more of everything. If less. Opposite that.

Slice lots of carrots celery and a bunch of green onions
Get all that stuff on a low boil
Add a fat clove of minced garlic
A chunk of butter. Mmmmm. Or margarine. What ever was in the wrapper.

Then I just started grabbing the seasonings like an idiot.
A shake of garlic powder
A shake of basil
Couple shakes of minced dry onion. We like onion.
A shake of oregano but Mom said that was a bad idea
Lots of Salt and Pepper but mine came out a little too peppery
Pack of chicken broth seasoning. Or bull-ee-on.
Cook it all down. Long style.

Chunk up some defrosted uncooked chicken and toss that all in. 

Then I made some homemade noodles. They were fun. 
One egg
Cup flour
And I doused it with water a couple times cause mine was too crumbly
Work it till it barely starts to stick together and get your hands in there and make a ball
Roll the stuff out on a dry surface
Make it thin till it almost tears apart
Let it dry a minute and slice it up to small noodle width. They'll expand in the water. Thin is good.
Then Mom said that they need to be dry so they don't break up in the water so I took a magazine and started fanning them. I considered a blow dryer. 
With the soup on a low roll I started dropping noodles in. 
Let the noodles cook at least 15 min. It doesn't seem that long I promise.

And thats it. Best chicken noodle soup I've ever made. And the first.

ErockN Out!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I do believe this recipe will be tough to duplicate but I'm glad it turned out well.

Katrina said...

yum! why milk though? seems random.