Sunday, March 20, 2011

homemade chicken broth

I made homemade chicken chicken broth!

Steve and I had a rotisserie chicken one night for dinner.  After dinner, we stuck it in the fridge.
Next afternoon I pulled it out, plopped it into a pot, threw:
a couple carrots
a couple leafy ribs of celery
1/4 of a large onion
2 smashed cloves of garlic

Then, measured by small palmfuls (equivalent to a tablespoon or so) I added:
thyme
parsley
rosemary
bay leaf

Filled the pot with water, and brought it to a boil.  After it boiled, turned it down to simmer and covered.
Let that pot simmer for about an hour.  I left mine for longer.
Strain all the solids out of the broth, and ta da!

You can package it up and freeze it, or use it right away, which is what I did.
I made a yummy chicken noodle soup to take care of us sickies at the house.

Though this isnt their exact recipe, I got this idea from ourbestbites.com

1 comment:

elise said...

whenever i make bone-in chicken or anything with veggie scraps (carrot peelings/ends) the white part of the celery, etc, (asparagus ends, cabbage hearts...) i stick them in a gal freezer bag, when it's full, it's time to make stock, that way there's a place to put all that veggie compost (since i don't have a garden), and all the bones/fat/skin so they don't go bad before i have enough to do stock.