Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cheeseburger Roll

If you have a husband like mine-- a meat and potatoes kind of guy--  he may like this.
Its kind of like a meat loaf with a crust.

Fresh from the oven
 Cheeseburger Roll

1 lb ground beef
6 Tb. shortening
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
2 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
2 Tb. chopped onion
1/4 c. ketchup
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
salt and pepper to taste




Brown ground beef and onion in 3 TB of the shortening.  
Add the ketchup and cheese.  Remove from heat.  Stir until cheese is melted. 

Sift flour with baking powder and salt.  Cut in last 3 Tb. of shortening, add milk.  Knead.  Roll out onto a floured surface into a 1/2 in. thick rectangle.  Top with hamburger mixture. Wrap sides up over hamburger and pinch sides together so its sealed nicely. 

Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 30 mins or until golden brown. 
Serve with country gravy.  

Sliced and topped with the brown gravy we had. 
I made this tonight for Steve.  He doesnt get it often, because I'm not crazy about it.  I didnt have a country gravy packet (I'm lazy that way) so we had brown gravy instead.   I had mine with a big salad.  The best part is that the outside bread is nice and crusty.  Its good with the gravy.

I think this could be good with any ground meat.  Maybe ground turkey?  Steve wanted me to use up some of our ground elk, but I didnt.  I hate the smell of it cooking.   It may be a nice change to your meal.  And its sure to be a man pleaser.  :)

2 comments:

Katrina said...

oh, i also didnt cook my beef in the extra shortening. i didnt feel there was a need to add that extra grease. and i cheated tonight and used dried chopped onion instead of chopping a fresh onion.

Travis Laurel said...

I think I'm going to try this. Only I have to use up some Pillsbury Cresents. I might experiment on individual servings. Thanks for the post.